It is week 4 of lockdown and Duncan has the week off work so we are going to start the Shed to Man Cave project. So we start the week on isolation day 22 Monday 13th April and it is Easter Monday.
We start with the changing of the roof. The basic Shed roof isn’t going to cut it so Duncan got himself some Felt shingles and had prior to this week back in March.
Everything on hold as Pandemic hits
Unfortunately, we started the roof when we ordered the same shed from the same company. we started at the beginning of March expecting the new shed to arrive within two weeks. However lockdown postponed the new shed’s arrival which held us up. It looked like the shed to man cave project would have to stop.
However, Duncan had booked time off in advance for it. When the insulation and boarding etc all turned up as expected. We decided to continue the new Man Cave anyway where the shed was and put all the sheds contents into storage until the new shed eventually shows up.
The walls and roof were all covered in the following:
- Vapour barrier
- Silver insulation boards
- Plaster board
The Floor was also covered in:
- Laminate flooring
I would like to say it ended there. However, when the new shed arrived and it wasn’t the same size or even the same type as the one we ordered. It was meant to match the one that became the Man cave as it was meant to be the Man cave. But lockdown meant hold ups so we decided to use the one we had.
What we forgot is when the new base came and got put down. We would actually have to move the finished Man cave without taking it apart!
Rolling Rolling Rolling Man cave
So after much stress and a lot of curse words after the delivery driver left. We were left with a MUCH cheaper shed than the one ordered and paid for. Never easy is it! However, after negotiations and a date well into 2021 for the next chance of a replacement shed we decide to keep the one we have. BIG Mistake 🤦♀️.
So Now we have everything we set about laying the new base…
So now we were aware that either they had sent a shed that was not only the wrong type but also the wrong size or the wrong sized base we turn our minds to how we plan to move the shed.
My idea round fence posts or telegraph pole cut in half (couldn’t source that so had to make do with what we eventually used)
Duncans wrap a winch tape around it and pull.
Safe to say my idea won.
Now baring in mind we ordered and was expecting a shed Identical to the old one except without windows. what we got was a series of headaches. First a far cheaper shed, broken and we had to actually fix many of the pieces, Finish hammering in many of the nails and generally it was disgusting condition.
However, due to Covid if we hadn’t accepted it. we would either have to store all our bikes indoors or continue to pay storage for months before anywhere could give us a replacement. The cost of storage would be more than the reduced cost of the shed so we kept it. That concludes our Shed to Man cave project.
To find out more of our home improvement projects you can follow them here.
Leave a Reply